Multi-Step Order Transmittal (MSOT) is a workflow tool in the electronic health record. It is a prescription work queue functionality used by specialty pharmacy services to support continuity of care. Whether you are looking to understand what MSOT is or looking for ways to streamline the process for your team, we have you covered.
Here is some basic information about MSOT, as well as insights from Arrive Health’s experts on how you can use our technology to optimize MSOT workflows.
What is MSOT in an electronic health record?
Multi-Step Order Transmittal, commonly referred to as MSOT, is an Epic-specific workflow that supports ambulatory clinics and pharmacy teams in reviewing prescription orders, confirming benefit coverage, clearing restrictions, and selecting a pharmacy for fulfillment.
When a provider orders medications that are designated on a health system’s pre-defined MSOT list, the order automatically gets routed to the MSOT work queue, before it is sent to a pharmacy. Typically, a health system or clinic has dedicated MSOT resources to manage this work queue.
How does the MSOT process typically work?
MSOT teams facilitate specialty medication supportive services using a process which requires a large amount of administrative work. Some of the manual tasks MSOT teams complete include:
- Identifying ambulatory clinics where MSOT workflows should be enabled
- Maintaining a specific list of high-value specialty medications that need to be routed to the MSOT queue for benefits investigation and fulfillment
- Managing the MSOT work queue to:
- Confirm pharmacy options, including convenient locations for the patient
- Identify payer restrictions, including prior authorizations, dosage, or formulary coverage limitations
- Research available medication alternatives
- Balance prescriber and patient therapy and/or pharmacy preference
- Communicate with patients about enrollment, restrictions, and next steps
What are the biggest challenges MSOT teams face?
The current MSOT process involves a large amount of manual administrative work. For every drug included on the MSOT-defined list, the MSOT team has to investigate pharmacy and coverage options. This process often requires multiple phone calls with the pharmacy, patient, and provider to determine if the medication can be filled as ordered or if represcribing is required.
Time spent on these tasks impacts clinical team productivity, efficient use of high-dollar resources, and can result in a disjointed patient experience in the form of time spent making phone calls and/or represcribing. This can also lead to delays in getting a prescription processed, including reordering, fulfilling, and being ready for the patient to pick up.
How to optimize the MSOT process
Optimizing the MSOT process is possible with new approaches that leverage patient-specific cost and coverage information. In doing so, you can reduce the administrative burden associated with manual tasks. Arrive Health’s provider and care team tools help streamline the MSOT workflow and confirmation process in distinct ways.
We make it possible for providers to:
- View and select ideal pharmacy options at the point-of-care, reducing downstream MSOT rework
- Confirm patient and pharmacy coverage, reducing MSOT test claim volumes, investigation of pharmacy availability, and patient communications
- Bypass the MSOT investigation process altogether, in some cases, by selecting covered medication and pharmacy options
We support MSOT teams by giving them tools to:
- Capture more prescription orders at retail, mail-order, or specialty pharmacies
- Gain access to coverage, cost, and pharmacy availability details
- Identify interim covered care options while working through the clearance process for an MSOT medication, driving speed-to-therapy and patient engagement
We support IT teams by giving them tools to:
- Provide a variety of workflow tools to all members of the patient care team
- Reduce unnecessary prescriptions going through high-touch workflows
- Apply insightful data to refine eRx records as coverage status changes with new and existing specialty therapies
Support your team and the patient experience with Arrive Health
Arrive Health can help optimize your MSOT workflows and speed patient access to prescriptions. Contact a member of our team to learn more.